Over the winter recess, I knit a Cowry Hat using Finch by Quince and Co. I seemed to make a terrible mistake when I started the bubble stitch pattern. You get the neat bubble effect by dropping a series of stitches. When I dropped first set of stitches, they dropped all the way down to the ribbing. The hat was knit on teeny tiny needles, so I wasn’t about to rip it all out and start over. I’m not sure exactly what I did wrong, but after a some much needed time with my crochet hook, I was able to repair the damage I had done. I haven’t blocked it yet, so don’t mind the lumpy knitting in the photos below.
I’ve already managed to put the hat to good use since we are getting hit with our first snow storm of the year.
I finished another Star Crossed Slouchy Beret using one skein of Malabrigo Merino Worsted in violetas. This time around, I actually followed the pattern and didn’t add the extra 12 rows.
I made the Star Crossed Slouchy Beret, a free Ravelry download, using less than one skein of Malabrigo Yarn Merino Worsted in Polar Morn. I wasn’t really paying attention to the pattern and ended up doing an extra 12-rows in pattern before the second set of increases. It just made the beret a bit slouchier.
This hat knits up so quickly. I have another one started already.
There are a number of birthdays this fall (including my own), so I am starting to knit up a few hats for presents. Using 2 balls of Frog Tree Alpaca Sport weight in charcoal gray, I knit this Eyelet Cap. The pattern is by Cathy Carron and can be found in the Fall/Winter 2009 issue of Vogue Knitting.
The pattern has you knit from the top of the hat down on #3 needles, and goes fairly quickly.
I abandoned the idea of trying to make a larger Kiddie Cadet hat. After making 2 hats from the pattern, I wanted to knit something new. So I decided to give J. the one I made for H. I’ll find a home for the tiny one I originally made for J.
For the past few winter’s H’s has been wearing, what she calls her “pom pom hat.” This is one of my favorite hat patterns. She wore the hat for three winters. Eventually, the pom pom fell out, but that didn’t stop H. from asking to wear it.
As a replacement, I made the Sid Hat from Debbie Bliss’s Junior Knits. I used one ball of Ella Rae Classic in the same dark gray I used for the Kiddie Cadets. There is only one size for the hat, so it is a bit big for H., but it is floppy enough that you can position the hat so it stays on her head without falling into face.
I was able to put my limited knowledge of crocheting to work for the band and the brim of the hat. I am still not completely confident I crocheted everything correctly, but overall, I think it looks okay.
To prevent it from totally covering her eyes as you see here, I seamed up the brim to the upper part of the hat to help keep in place.