Tag Archives: Anna Wrap Dress

Anna Wrap Dress for school Auction

28 Mar

H.’s school has an auction coming up later in the spring, so I have been making a few things here and there.  I finished this reversible Anna Wrap Dress in size 134/140 cm.  One side can be worn as a school uniform, and the other can be worn on the weekends.

H. always gets compliments when she wears one of her two Anna Wrap Dresses, so I hope it finds a good home.

Advertisements

Anna Wrap Dress for M.

24 Dec

As part of my niece’s Christmas present, I made her a reversible apron dress by modifying the Farbenmix Anna wrap dress pattern.  I used 4 different fabrics, so she could wear it as 4 different dresses.

These fabrics are from Sandi Henderson’s Farmer’s Market collection.

These fabrics are Anna Maria Horner‘s Chocolate Lollipop Floral Stripes and Michael Miller‘s Mae Orchid. I hope M. loves her apron dress as much as my daughter loves the two I have made for her.

I think this is the last of the posts documenting what I made for holiday gifts this year.  I was able to make most of the items on my gift-giving list. I started to make a few pot holders, but had to put those aside due to my horrible never-ending cold. I’ll pick those back up after the holidays.  I’m off for a bit of family time!  Happy Holidays!

Making H’s School Uniforms

3 Aug

H. starts in the local public school system this fall.  The school she will be attending has a dress code: dresses in navy blue, skirts and pants in navy blue or khaki, shirts need to be light blue of white.  Ever since we found out her school assignment, I have been trying to think of what I can make her given this restrictive and somewhat bland color palette. Luckily, someone at the school informed me that the fabric I use to make H’s school uniforms need not be all solids I can use stripes, gingham, flowers or polka dots. I may end up pushing the boundaries with this.  Is that bad for me?

I have 6 weeks to try and make her school clothes. Last week, I kicked off my school uniform sewing marathon by completing two dresses and a quick skirt.

I loved making the Anna Wrap dress earlier this year. It has become one of H’s (and my) favorite dresses. I made her another reversible one she could wear to school and on the weekends.

School side:

I made this using a cotton sateen in navy blue for the front.  The back has a print from Amy Butler’s Lotus line peeking out.

On the other side, the main fabric is the same as the one peeking out from the other side.  I also used a bold polka dot print from the Lotus line. H. already prefers to wear it on the “weekend” side:

I love the little pockets that are on the side of the Puppet Show shorts.  I knew I wanted to put that same pocket on a dress. This a-line dress was made from the same sateen cotton navy blue fabric used for the Anna Dress. For the facing, the front pocket, and the back button hook, I used leftover fabric from the pillow shams I made for my sister-in-law.

I was also able to make a quick Lazy Day skirt in this bold print.  I think I may be hitting up against the dress code restrictions with this one, so I am considering this a weekend skirt.

Mermaid and Seahorse Reversible Anna Wrap Dress

12 Apr

I’ve been wanting to make the Farbenmix Anna Wrap Dress for almost over a year after I saw the dress one of my friends had made for her daughter. I’ve had the pattern for a while, but was a bit daunted since there weren’t any drawings to go along with the pattern. I am such a visual learner that I psyched myself out a bit and over thought this pattern to the point where I almost never made it. If I can sew from Japanese patterns with no English translations, I sure can sew this pattern since it was translated into English, right?

I had decided I wanted to make it reversible, so after getting confused as to which pattern pieces to trace out and add the seam allowances to, I finally had that “ah-ha” moment midway though sewing it all together last night. I ended up cutting a total of 4 pieces of the #1 piece and didn’t use the #2 pieces of the pattern at all. I also made 4 sets of ties instead of 2. Here is the result:

The fabric I used is from Heather Ross’s Mendocino line. I made the dress in size 110-116 cm.

Now that I think I have the pattern down, I would love to make more and try replacing the ties with a button. The pattern is so simple, yet there are so many possible variations.  There are some great photos on Flickr. It is so inspiring to see what others have created.

With knitting, I have been making extremely slow progress on the Dusk Cardigan.

I did purchase some fun fabric to make a few things for J.  Now, I just have to find the perfect patterns. Boy clothes seem to be a bit more challenging since there aren’t as many fun patterns out there, so if you know of any, send the links my way.