I finished up the Kids Clothes Week Challenge with the Oliver and S School Photo Dress (view B). I was lucky enough to sew an early version of the pattern back in the spring and couldn’t wait for the release of the fall patterns. This dress is for H. to wear to some upcoming family events. She can also wear it to school since it is in school uniform colors.
Given the sleekness of the lines in the dress and the kangaroo pocket in the front, I wanted to choose a fabric that would highlight these wonderful details. I used a baby blue gabardine for the dress and pale pink for the lining. Since I rarely sew using solid colors, this was a nice change.
This was my first time sewing with gabardine and given the weight, I opted not to add the edge stitching on the yoke and hand stitched the hem. I like that you don’t see any stitching except for on the end of the gathered sleeves. I think the biggest challenge, for me, was working with the lining since it was so slick and slippery. Next time, I will take care to cut the lining a bit more slowly.
I already want to make view A of this dress, but I am holding out for the release of City Weekend.