Hold on a second! Why is February going by so quickly? I normally try to sew every night, but lately, the only time I have been able to carve out is on the weekends. Luckily, my weeknights have been filled with fun events. Aside from the shuffle kids to and from their early evening activities, I’ve been attending a number of book readings. There have been so many new books being published from some of my talented fiction-writing friends. It’s been a joy to hear them read and to celebrate their recent publications.
Since I haven’t been sewing as often as I normally do, I’ve tried to focus on small, simple, and at times, portable projects.
I made a bunch of bow hair ties from this free Oliver + S pattern. The pattern piece is the same one used for the bow on the Straight Stitch Society Have It All Wallet. I have a huge bag of scrape fabric next to my sewing table, so I was able to dip into that and finish several hair ties while H & J were at playdates. H. has given quite a few of these to her girlfriends.
I made a ric-rac flower hair clip using this tutorial. I used way too much ric-rac on this flower and was about to take it apart, but H. loves the how large it turned out. Personally, I prefer subtleties in my hair accessories, but then again, I’m not a 7 year-old girl.
Whenever it starts to snow, I tend to start sewing clothes for warmer weather. Call it wishful thinking. During this past weekend’s blizzard, I pulled out some Nani Iro double gauze fabric I purchased last year. I used this digital pattern, made a few minor adjustments to it, and sewed a light summery dress. I couldn’t wait for warmer weather to wear it, so I threw on some tights and a cardigan and layered up the dress for work. I sewed the size based on my body’s measurements, but I think I could have gone down a size in the bodice.
Having all weekend plans cancelled due to the blizzard allowed me to finish up some knitting projects. I finished the Every Last Yard cardigan I started back in the fall. I put this aside in October to start working on holiday presents, so it was nice to finally be able to finish it. I used 3.5 skeins of Madelinetosh Merino DK in Betty Draper’s Blue. I picked this color partially for the name and for the vibrant blue that was on the website. I was a bit disappointed when it arrived to find the color wasn’t like the Baltic in the Madelinetosh Vintage but more like a stone-washed denim blue.
I used my last skein of Morehouse 3-strand variegated yarn to make a pair of new mittens. I sewed in all the loose end just as the snow fall was ending on Saturday morning. Nothing like a snowstorm to break in a new pair of knitted mittens.