Uniform sewing has officially commenced for the upcoming school year. To kick things off, I made the Oliver and S Puppet Show Tunic (view B) in size 5.
I always seem to be on the search for subtle navy and white patterned fabric H. can wear for school, so I overjoyed when I found this lovely print at Bolt in Portland. For the bodice, I cut the fabric, so the print would be going horizontally to the skirt. I like the way the subtle difference turned out.
The collar, sleeve button band, and facing hem we made using white polka dots on navy from my fabric stash.
Even though hand stitching the hem facing would have looked much nicer, I opted to just machine sew it. It was late, and I was ready to just finish up the dress. I’m thinking now that I should rip out the machine sewn hem and take the time to hand stitch it.
As I quickly learned as the school year progressed last year, H.’s school uniform policy is more like a dress code. Students are asked to wear white, navy, light blue, or khaki colored clothes in any combination. There was an attempt in the spring to have the students wear more traditional uniforms, but for now, the dress code will stay in place. I prefer the flexibility of dress code since it allows me to pick out fun fabrics that adhere to the loose uniform policy.
H.’s only request this year for her uniforms is that they not have any belts. When I asked her why, she said her belts would frequently come untied, and her teachers would sometimes tie them too tight to make sure they stayed on. I did find to one of her belts or two in the lost and found a few times. I thought this was a funny request since she only has two dresses for school that have belts. I’ve been able to fulfill her no belt request with this dress.
H. loves it and wanted to wear it to camp this morning. As an alternative, she picked out a pair of Puppet Show Shorts and a 2 +2 Blouse instead.
H. has outgrown a few of the school clothes I made for her last year, but luckily, she can still fit into most of the dresses. These dresses (except for a few I made in the spring) will now be tunics with leggings thrown on underneath, so I won’t have to sew quite as many items this time around.